MR EAZI

MR EAZI
ABOUT TO BLOW MIXTAPE OUT #19JUNE

May 24, 2012

DBANJ TO APPEAR IN KANYE's SHORT MOVIE + INTERVIEW WITH THE STUDENT GUIDE UK

 Mr dbanj is doing big things mehn...days after the release of his official single in the UK, he made No9 on the official UK Top 40 singles chart!
Then the past weekend, Kanye West priemered his short movie 'Cruel Summer' at the Cannes Film Festival to a select crowd and D'banj's name was on the cast members.

The pass for entry to the premiere
The whole G.O.O.D. Music fam was on tonight's premiere slate at the Gotha Club in Cannes as Kanye released his Cruel Summer film, starring Kid Cudi. Teyana Taylor, Pusha T, Cudi and D'banj were all in attendance.
GQ Senior Editor Logan Hill Tweeted out plenty of details about the film, in case you were wondering what it's about:
Cruel Summer is the story of a Lamborghini car thief who falls for a beautiful blind Arabic girl who's father will let them marry if he can help her see. So he (Kid Cudi) does using strings that lead her around palace to play music.

Kanye West says it's a work in progress but it's wildly stylish, huge booming soundtrack, Vanessa beecroft production design. Immersive fun.
Kanye says he had to get script approval in Qatar. He needed 20 camels, 100 extras, and around 20 Lambos.
His female star (Sarah A., an intern at Doha Film Institute) is the star of Cruel Summer.
The film features fashion he designed and pieces by local Arabic designers, shot in 4 days, 3 months start to almost-finish. Amanda Palmer of Doha Film Inst says Cruel Summer will premiere November 19 as part of festival in Doha.
D'Banj with Big Sean and Teyana Tayor (GOOD music acts)

D’banj talks tea, Afrobeat and meeting royalty!

This week The Student Guide's Sophie Forrest caught up with D'banj and talked Africa, making music with Kayne and the Great British Summer! 


Oliver Twist has been out for just over a week now. How has it gone so far?
It’s been huge. I charted at number 9. It was such a huge moment not just for me but for the whole African movement. This is the first time that this has happened; that an established African act has crossed over to the global world. It’s what we’ve been dreaming of. I am so honoured to be the first person that this has happened to.
Apart from you, of course, what makes a great Afrobeat track?
Afrobeat is a combination of sounds, African instruments, a lot of drums, lot of melodies. Just like if you looked at the rap industry in the 90s, and the rap industry now, Afrobeat has also evolved to what we now call Afropop, which is the genre I do. If you come to Africa you see different people doing Afrobeat, Afrorap, Afropop, Afror’n’b, it’s a nation of melody: our drums our sounds, our language.

So what would you say is your signature music style?
First of all I would say I’m an entertainer, but I’d say I do Afropop.
Why did you choose to sing about Oliver Twist?
Those who already know me know that when I do music, I do it from my heart and what I see around me. The story speaks of a time when I was growing up and wanting more. Growing up in the few years I have been in the industry I have realised that is how human beings are: you have 1 million pounds, you want 2 million pounds; you have 1 car, you want 2 cars. You know I think that is the drive that keeps us moving. I just let people listen and let people know it’s not bad for us to want more, it just depends on how you channel your energy.
What comes across from the video is your own personal sense of style. Is fashion and image quite important to you?
Oh yes, growing up everyone knows that I always said, you dress how you want to be addressed. I think when it comes to fashion, making a statement and being sharp, like James Bond, is good.
How did it feel being signed to GOOD music?
Wow. If I was to dream about who was to best introduce me to the whole world it would be Kanye. I met Kayne in Dubai. I went for a show there in late 2010 and I met him on my way back. I pulled up at the first class lounge with my entourage, and one of the air hostesses ran up to me, she had a plaque and it said Mr Kayne West on it. And I was like, "wow, ok I look like Kayne West, but I’m not West, I’m D’banj!" We looked up and saw him and my manager introduced himself. Kayne gave me 5 minutes and he listened to my music; 5 minutes became 30 minutes and he invited me to New York, and as you say the rest is history.
I’ve always thought about taking my music, culture and gospel to the world but I didn’t want to change my style and that’s the best thing about Kanye, because he doesn’t want you to change anything; he absorbs what you have and then he mixes it together and we get GOOD music!
How would you describe yourself as a performer? And will you be wowing us at this year’s summer festivals in the UK?
I am an entertainer and that’s what I do: I entertain. I am excited and looking forward to this year’s festivals. I am doing Hackney Weekend and Wireless Festival. I have also played here for the last 3 years. I have an annual concert, KoKo Concert, and the last one I did was at Apollo Hammersmith. I was sold out and Kayne West actually flew in to surprise me for the show. My people already know the kind of show I do: I entertain, I get into it. In fact I say don’t come with your bags just come light cos you’re sweating all the way and you’ll be moving, I am telling you!
Who have you been working with and who would you like to work with?       
I have been working with Mr Hudson, he has been teaching me the English way, you know how to drink the English tea! I have also been working with Tinie Tempah and he is doing great things. I have already been in the studio with Skepta, but I also like Cover Drive.
What is next for you?
Next for me is actually letting my fans here understand what D’Banj and Africa is about. I want to bring a new perception of Africa. We have to let people know that Africa is not always as people think. I am so happy that people have already accepted Afrobeat as a sound and accepted me. My next single is being prepared for release and I’ll be going on tour over here. In fact I’m telling you; while I am here I have to see the Queen- she has to make me a knight or something!
Are there any plans to release an album this year at all?
Oh yes, my second single is in line everyone, is so excited and ready to release the album in the last quarter of the year.
Credits: thestudentguide.com and theybf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...